Grey Knights Draigowing vs Deathwing

Grey Knights Draigowing vs the Dark Angels Deathwing...not a bad way to start our battle reports here on Grey Knights of Titan! So let's get straight into seeing how 1750 points of Lord Kaldor Draigo's finest warriors fared in battle against James' mighty Deathwing, lets take a look at the lists...


Grey Knights Draigowing:

HQ:
Supreme Grand Master Kaldor Draigo.

Troop 1:
Paladin with Banner.
Paladin Apothecary.
Paladin with Halberd.
Paladin with Master Crafted Halberd.
Paladin with Psycannon and Halberd.
Paladin with Psycannon and Sword.
2 Paladins with Swords.
Paladin with Daemonhammer.
Paladin with Daemonhammer and Psycannon.

Troop 2:
Paladin with Banner.
Paladin Apothecary.
Paladin with Halberd.
Paladin with Master Crafted Halberd.
Paladin with Psycannon and Halberd.
Paladin with Psycannon and Sword.
2 Paladins with Swords.
Paladin with Daemonhammer.
Paladin with Daemonhammer and Psycannon.


Dark Angels Deathwing:

HQ:
Belial The Grand Master of the Deathwing.

HQ 2:
Librarian Grand Master Ezekial.

Troop 1:
3 Deathwing Terminators with Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield
Deathwing Terminator with Banner, Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield.
Deathwing Terminator Apothecary with Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield.

Troop 2:
4 Deathwing Terminators with Power Fist.
Deathwing Terminator with Power Fist & Cyclone missile launcher.


Troop 3:
4 Deathwing Terminators with Power Fist.
Deathwing Terminator with Power Fist & Cyclone missile launcher.

Troop 4:
4 Deathwing Terminators with Power Fist.
Deathwing Terminator with Power Fist & Cyclone missile launcher.

Troop 5:
4 Deathwing Terminators with Power Fist.
Deathwing Terminator with Power Fist & Cyclone missile launcher.

Troop 6:
4 Deathwing Terminators with Power Fist.
Deathwing Terminator with Power Fist & Cyclone missile launcher.


So those are the army lists, lets move onto setup...The mission was Annihilation and deployment was Spear Head, James' rolling unusually let him down and I won the roll off and elected to go first placing my Draigowing as close as I could to the centre of the table, James joins Belial and Ezekial together to lead the Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield squad and proceeds to craftily set his army up just over 30" away to prevent my strong mid ranged firepower from shooting him down first turn...James' attempt to seize the initiative failed and so the game begins...

Draigowing turn 1:
So my first turn would be spent rousing my men into a light jog towards the enemy lines in preparation for the coming battle...no problem the Lord Draigo and his men who weren't in cover and rolled a 4 for their run move, however squad 2 must have been frozen by the heroic aura of the Supreme Grand Master and proceeded to roll a 2 for difficult terrain and a 2 for their run move.

Deathwing turn 1:
my aggressive jog towards the Deathwing lines must have left James stunned and rather than advancing towards me he wheeled his entire army south leaving 2 of his squads out of Storm Bolter range, however James still had his Cyclone missile launchers and remaining Storm Bolters to fire and fire them he did unleashing everything in range at Lord Dragio's squad causing me to lose 1 Grey Knight Paladin.

Draigowing Kill Points: 0
Deathwing Kill Points: 0














Draigowing turn 2:
A cry goes out for their fallen comrade and onward the squads march towards the heretics readying their weapons Lord Draigo's squad fires upon belial's Thunder Hammer Storm Shield squad and inflicts a good number of wounds but sadly no rends on this salvo and the psychic rounds ricochet of the bone coloured armour as James saves everything. Squad 2 follow their brother's lead and proceed do the same, unleashing Psycannon fury upon the same squad causing a decent number of wounds again and 4 rends! but the 3+ save of the Storm Shield comes to the rescue and at the end of firing only Belial has taken a wound.

Deathwing turn 2:
My inability to wound James' army gives him renewed confidence in his army's ability and he marches straight towards my lines this time nothing will be out of range, his army take aim and each squad begin firing directly into Lord Draigo's squad I watch as each squad hits and wounds a disgusting number of times and keep telling myself this is insane as I pick up my dice in return and roll my saves...I have always said that 40k is 90% skill and 10% luck but I hold my hands up and say that the Emperor was smiling upon me as Krak missiles and Storm Bolter shells bounce from my armour until only 1 wound is caused on a Paladin from Storm Bolter fire.

Draigowing Kill Points: 0
Deathwing Kill Points: 0



Draigowing turn 3:
This vile heresy will be tolerated no further and James' knew from the smile on my face the Grey Knights were about to unleash Hell on Earth upon his precious Deathwing...Lord Draigo's squad wheel to the left manoeuvring the tank traps into the way of the advancing Deathwing lines and open fire with their blessed Psycannons into Belial & Ezekials squad causing multiple wounds and rends causing 2 Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield equipped Terminators to drop and Librarian Ezekial to take a wound from Storm Bolter fire, squad 2 then open fire on the same squad...I pray their aim is as true as their brother's and roll the dice...again I cause mass wounds upon the Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield Terminators and drop the final 3 of the squad leaving a battered Librarian and Grand Master on their own on the battlefield.

Deathwing turn 3:
Immediately James moves his squads up to allow Ezekial and Belial to join the next nearest squad and then unleashes his own vengeance upon me in the form of a hail of Krak and Bolter shells this time my saving was not so lucky as the mighty Lord Kaldor Draigo loses his first wound taking a Krak missile to the chest along with losing another Paladin to a Krak missile and take a Storm Bolter wound to another...God how I love wound allocation or that could've meant I'd be taking a Leadership test.

Draigowing Kill Points: 1
Deathwing Kill Points: 0 

Draigowing turn 4:
I take advantage of James being on the back foot and Lord Draio's squad open fire upon the new Belial & Ezekial squad again they decimate the progressively shrinking Deathwing lines by killing 2 more Terminators and killing Librarian Ezekial when he succumbs to the mental anguish of seeing his squad slaughtered around him and suffers Perils of the Warp, squad 2 open fire on the squad behind killing another 2 Terminators in a bid to begin breaking the Deathwing lines further apart.

Deathwing turn 4:
James moves in preparation for a charge on Draigo's unit firing into the squad with everything yet again, dealing a single wound to an already wounded Paladin and killing 1 more, I roll my leadership test, pass and await the coming assault...
The 3 remaining Terminators and Belial charge bolstered by the remaining 3 from the squad behind, I roll to cast Hammerhand and succeed and so the fighting begins...my Halberds, swords and Lord Draigo slash at the enemy managing to kill Belial and a further Terminator before they get to strike, however when it comes to James' attacks he elects to attack Lord Draigo and instead targets the squad dealing mass damage and killing 3 of my Paladins, my nerve holds as I roll a Leadership test and luckily the squad stand firm to fight on

Draigowing Kill Points: 3
Deathwing Kill Points:0

Draigowing turn 5:
I decide avoiding Powerfists to be a pertinent tactic in this scenario and move squad 2 away from the bulk of James' army whilst firing into the rear squads to try to thin the numbers and thus stop him from re-enforcing the combat with Lord Draigo's squad...my Psycannons and Storm Bolters strike true completely eliminating an entire squad, meanwhile in the combat I manage to kill another Terminator from Belial's former squad while Lord Draigo takes a single wound, the combat a draw we fight on.

Deathwing turn 5:
James realises that the only way he can win this game is to completely crush my army and so makes a beeline for squad 2 firing all weapons...I fail 2 Storm Bolter saves on 2 separate Paladins. 
I the close combat I fail to wound any Deathwing and I fail to cast Hammerhand, in return James kills my already wounded Paladin and 1 other, I pass my Leadership test again and we prepare to fight on.

Draigowing Kill Points: 4
Deathwing Kill Points: 0

At this stage Adam rolls the dice to see if the game continues, I know I've got at least 1 turn where I can simply stand and shoot before having to even consider falling back thanks to the manoeuvring of the squads around the tank traps cutting James army off from a simple march into my forces, thankfully though the game ends with a crushing victory for Lord Draigo's Paladins.

Conclusion:
My only major mistake was allowing my Grey Knights to get in to close combat with the Deathwing, however this was their first outing against an all Terminator army and I wanted to see how much of a pounding they could take...
My personal opinion is to keep these guys shooting at all costs as they can quickly loose their effectiveness against hard hitting close combat armies such as this making their 2 wounds practically worthless. 

Labels: , , , , ,